“Thanks Jan for all your help, not only this year, but in the 6 years I’ve been on the Board with PEGNL. Your reports have been invaluable.”
~ Jeff Card (Past President – PEGNL)
- Regular contact, providing check-points against which to measure your progress in applying Policy Governance
- Regular reviews of complete board agenda and package, with written suggestions for both board and staff regarding improvements in the application of Policy Governance
- Assistance to the CEO and delegated managers in developing monitoring reports
- Advice to the CEO and management team on preparation and presentation of information to facilitate the board’s work
- E-mail, phone and/or fax answers to questions as they occur
- New implementation tools as they are developed
- Additional customized services may be negotiated
- Boards that have implemented Policy Governance, along with their management team and board support staff.
If your board has been using Policy Governance for some time, or perhaps has implemented the model without outside assistance, you may benefit from an external review of your policies. This review can identify for your board’s consideration:
- “Ends” policies that do not meet the Policy Governance criteria for Ends
- Unnecessary “prescriptions” in Executive Limitations Policies
- Better organization to apply the “policy sizes” principle
- Suggested improvements for clarity and completeness
- Other areas in which your policies may be inconsistent with Policy Governance principles
The CEO will find this service of particular value. The Governance Coach will provide written suggestions for the CEO and staff to whom the CEO delegates monitoring reports regarding improving monitoring reports so that they are consistent with best practice application of Policy Governance principles.
The Governance Coach will provide a written assessment of current governance practice compared to best practice application of Policy Governance principles, based on review of written documentation, including policies, monitoring reports, board minutes and a written survey of board members.
Our Coaching Clients Say It Best
Jan is at the top when it comes to governance coaches. I've worked on other boards that tried to use Policy Governance® and can confirm it's not a model you can just read about or implement after attending one or two workshops. You need coaching from someone with deep expertise, preferably someone like Jan who has trained with the Carvers. In any given year, we rotate up to 25% of our elected council members, so ongoing coaching is essential to ensure both new and veteran councillors are applying the model correctly. The work we've done with Jan over the years has allowed me greater efficiency in getting things done. It has also allowed the CRDHA council to focus on the big picture and strategic leadership, while ensuring operational accountability, prudence and ethics through establishment and monitoring of executive limitations policies. The Governance Coach can do the same for your organization, be it non-profit, association, church, utility company, or regulatory body.
Brenda Walker,Past Registrar, Chief Administrative Officer - College of Registered Dental Hygienists of Alberta
Our board has gone from "problem child" to "poster child". Working with The Governance Coach has made all the difference. At one point, after 6 presidents in 7 years, our board knew it had to lead - and to be - the change that was needed, and we sensed that Policy Governance was the way to go. The change has been far-reaching, including increased staff morale and student enrollment. Jan and her colleague Richard [Stringham] work with us as a team, with Richard orienting new board members, and Jan acting as quarterback. The beautiful thing about Jan's expertise is that she has so many real-life examples to share. She can relate to anyone in the room and get the point across to people from diverse backgrounds, including those from the corporate world. In fact , in this era of high accountability and transparency, the corporate world needs Policy Governance more than ever.
Vince Vavrek,Past Board Chair - Grande Prairie Regional College
Working with Andrew was a really good use of time and money. Because he did his homework up front, we were able to jump right into the work at hand. We got the result we wanted, which was to have common expectations and a clear understanding of our roles, responsibilities, and accountabilities. We're excited about moving forward to the next phase because we're in a stronger position to achieve our goal of increased capacity. Juno House Foundation has an unusual organizational model, so proper governance is especially critical for us. Andrew knew we were a different kettle of fish and never tried to fit us into a box. He adapted the Carver model to us and made it work for us. Andrew has a phenomenal ability to read people. He can see when someone needs to go through a discovery process, and instead of steering them onto a prescribed path, he guides them with Carver model language and concepts, combining that with each person's experience. He's respectful and considerate, as well as an expert at guiding the conversation to where it needs to go.
Julie George,Board Chair - Juno House Foundation