WHO WE COLLECT INFORMATION FROM
We collect information from:
- Individuals who browse our website
- Individuals who establish a relationship with us by telephone
- Individuals who subscribe to any of our subscription services
- Individuals who purchase goods or services via our store
By using this site, you represent that you are at least the age of majority in your state or province of residence, or that you are the age of majority in your state or province of residence and you have given us your consent to allow any of your minor dependents to use this site.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
When you subscribe to our blog: We collect only your email address.
When you subscribe to our publication, REALBoard Advisor™: We collect your email address, full name, and company or organization (optional)
When you subscribe to our Private Resources: We collect your name, country, email address, and organization or company, and you create a user name and password.
When you complete our Board Practices Profile™ or Policy Governance Application Check-up™, we collect your name, email address and company name.
When you purchase something from our store: we collect your name, address, telephone number and email address.
WHAT DO WE DO WITH YOUR INFORMATION?
When you purchase something from our store, as part of the buying and selling process, we collect the personal information you give us, including your name, address, telephone number and email address. We consider you have a business relationship with us, and we may send you information about future educational opportunities and resources. However, you may ask us not to send you information at any time.
When you browse our store or download material from our website, we also automatically receive your computer’s internet protocol (IP) address in order to provide us with information that helps us learn about your browser and operating system.
When you subscribe to our blog or publication, or register for our Private Resources, we give you the option to agree to receive periodic email when new knowledge resources or educational opportunities are available.
When you provide us with personal information to complete a transaction, verify your credit card, place an order, arrange for a delivery or return a purchase, we imply that you consent to our collecting it and using it for that specific reason only.
If we ask for your personal information for a secondary reason, like marketing, we will either ask you directly for your expressed consent, or provide you with an opportunity to say no.
If after you opt-in, you change your mind, you may withdraw your consent for us to contact you, for the continued collection, use or disclosure of your information, at any time, by contacting us at email@example.com or mailing us at:
The Governance Coach™
89 Douglasview Rise SE Calgary Alberta CA T2Z 2P5
CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLOSURE
We may disclose your personal information only if we are required by law to do so or if you violate our Terms of Service. We will not rent, sell, or share your email address.
THIRD PARTIES WE WORK WITH
Our store is hosted on Shopify Inc. They provide us with the online e-commerce platform that allows us to sell our products and services to you.
Your data is stored through Shopify’s data storage, databases and the general Shopify application. They store your data on a secure server behind a firewall.
If you choose a direct payment gateway to complete your purchase, then Shopify stores your credit card data. It is encrypted through the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS). Your purchase transaction data is stored only as long as is necessary to complete your purchase transaction. After that is complete, your payment information is deleted.
All direct payment gateways adhere to the standards set by PCI-DSS as managed by the PCI Security Standards Council, which is a joint effort of brands like Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover.
PCI-DSS requirements help ensure the secure handling of credit card information by our store and its service providers. For more insight, you may also want to read Shopify’s Terms of Service (https://www.shopify.com/legal/terms) or Privacy Statement (https://www.shopify.com/legal/privacy).
In general, the third-party providers used by us will only collect, use and disclose your information to the extent necessary to allow them to perform the services they provide to us. However, certain third-party service providers, such as payment gateways and other payment transaction processors, have their own privacy policies in respect to the information we are required to provide to them for your purchase-related transactions. For these providers, we recommend that you read their privacy policies so you can understand the manner in which your personal information will be handled by these providers.
In particular, remember that certain providers may be located in or have facilities that are located in different jurisdictions than either you or us. So, if you elect to proceed with a transaction that involves the services of a third-party service provider, then your information may become subject to the laws of the jurisdiction(s) in which that service provider or its facilities are located. As an example, if you are located in Canada and your transaction is processed by a payment gateway located in the United States, then your personal information used in completing that transaction may be subject to disclosure under United States legislation, including the Patriot Act.
STORAGE AND SECURITY OF YOUR DATA
To protect your personal information, we take reasonable precautions and follow industry best practices to make sure it is not inappropriately lost, misused, accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed. Personal data you provide to us is stored internally or through a data management system. Your personal data is accessed only by those who help to obtain, manage or store that information (i.e., our own data management staff.) That being said, we cannot guarantee that your personal data will always be secure due to technology or security breaches. Should there be a data breach of which we are aware, we will inform you immediately.
To use certain features of our website, you may need a username and password. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of the username and password, and you are responsible for all activities that occur under your username or password. We will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to protect your username or password.
You agree to notify us immediately of any unauthorized or improper use of your username or password. To help protect against unauthorized or improper use, make sure that you log out at the end of each session requiring your username and password.
NOTICES AND DISCLOSURES
When you click on links on our store, they may direct you away from our site. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of other sites and encourage you to read their privacy statements.
Our store uses Google Analytics to help us learn about who visits our site and what pages are being looked at.
Here is a list of cookies used by Shopify in our estore. We’ve listed them here so you that you can choose if you want to opt-out of cookies or not.
• _session_id, unique token, sessional, Allows Shopify to store information about your session (referrer, landing page, etc).
• _shopify_visit, no data held, Persistent for 30 minutes from the last visit, Used by our website provider’s internal stats tracker to record the number of visits
• _shopify_uniq, no data held, expires midnight (relative to the visitor) of the next day, Counts the number of visits to a store by a single customer.
• cart, unique token, persistent for 2 weeks, Stores information about the contents of your cart.
• _secure_session_id, unique token, sessional
• storefront_digest, unique token, indefinite. If the shop has a password, this is used to determine if the current visitor has access.
• PREF, persistent for a very short period, Set by Google and tracks who visits the store and from where.
HOW YOU CAN ACCESS, UPDATE OR DELETE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
You have the right to:
- Request information about how your personal data is being used and request a copy of what personal data we use.
- Restrict processing if you think the personal data is not accurate, unlawful or no longer needed.
- Rectify or erase personal data and receive confirmation of the rectification or erasure. (You have the “right to be forgotten.”)
- Withdraw your consent at any time to the processing of your personal data.
- Lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority if you feel we are using your personal data unlawfully.
- Object to our use of your personal data.
Individuals residing in the European Economic Area have the following additional rights under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR):
- The right to request that personal data that you have provided to us be returned to you, or be provided to another third party of your choice, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format.
- The right not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated decision-making. In connection with such right, you may have the right to request human intervention with respect to such automated decision-making, as well as express your point of view or contest any such automated decision-making.
- You may elect to “opt out” of direct marketing activities, including any profiling we may conduct for direct marketing purposes. Accordingly, we may rely on your consent permitting us to process your information in accordance with this policy for direct marketing, including profiling for direct marketing, unless you take affirmative action to opt out of such processing. You may opt out at any time by contacting our Data Privacy Officer as provided further below.
We may make changes to this Policy, and may apply any changes to information previously collected, as permitted by law. When we make material changes to this Policy, we will notify you by posting the updated Policy on our website, and we will update the effective date at the end of this Policy.
QUESTIONS AND CONTACT INFORMATION
If you would like to: access, correct, amend or delete any personal information we have about you, register a complaint, send us a compliment, or simply want more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at:
The Governance Coach™
[Re: Privacy Compliance Officer]
89 Douglasview Rise SE Calgary Alberta CA T2Z 2P5